Iron Studies and IV Iron
Iron is one of the minerals in the human body. If you do not have enough iron, your body cannot make haemoglobin, and you may develop anaemia.
Iron deficiency anaemia (IDA) is a widespread problem affecting an estimated two billion people worldwide.
Up to 10% of all women in the UK are iron deficient, and it is the most common cause of anaemia seen in primary care.
An iron infusion is a way to increase the body’s iron levels quickly. It’s a more immediate treatment than supplements or dietary changes. This can be very helpful in situations where anaemia is severe.
Common causes of IDA include
- Heavy periods
- Blood loss
- Poor diet
- Chronic illness
- Gut problems
IDA can impact your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing.
- Low mood/ depression
- Shortness of breath
- Poor sleep patterns
- Hair loss
- Low energy levels
Oral iron replenishment can be slow and poorly tolerated, with many patients complaining of gastrointestinal upset.
Having an iron infusion almost immediately replenishes your iron stores.
Indications for iron infusions
- Hb <90 & low MCV & low MCH
- Ferritin <30
We would also consider prescribing and administering IV iron if:
- Ferritin 30-100 and at least 2/3 of the following
- Symptomatic for iron deficiency
- TSAT <20%
- CRP >5
- Failed oral replenishment
- Undertake the following blood tests, in the convenience of your own home, or in our Soho clinic (we can also review any iron study undertaken within the last six months)
- LFT including albumin and gamma GT
- Serum iron
- Discuss your results with one of our expert doctors, and agree on an appropriate treatment pathway
- Undertake an EffectDoctors Iron Infusion, or series of infusions
- This can be in our Soho clinic, or with a two-person team, in the convenience of your home
- Follow-up bloods and Doctors report around 3 months later
The iron test starts from £250 (at the clinic) and the iron infusion starts at £895 (at the clinic). The test and infusion combined (at the clinic) is £1100 with the test done first, results discussed with a Doctor, then the infusion booked for a later date.
If you can't see a slot that works for you or would like the treatment at a special time please email us at email@example.com - we will do our very best to accommodate you!